REPORTS TO: Vice President
SUMMARY: The Chief Estimator is responsible for the oversight of the entire estimating process for all bids. This individual oversees all other estimators and estimator related staff members. The Chief Estimator must have broad experience, and a thorough understanding of heavy civil construction estimating and a strong knowledge of HCSS Heavy Bid software. He/She must be a flexible and adaptable team-player.
KEY INTERFACES: Executive Management, Estimator, Project Manager, Superintendent
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Mentor, supervise, and provide direction to other full time estimators and those who assist estimating efforts ona full time or "per pursuit" basis.
- Coordinate and run weekly estimating meetings to track the progress of current estimating pursuits, identify potential future pursuits, as well as identify & track other administrative tasks associated with estimating
- Maintain primary responsibility for the Heavy Bid Master Estimate (including but not limited to): Activity, Material, and Bid Item Code Books; Labor, Equipment, Crew, and Resource Libraries; Workers Compensation Rates, Bond Rates, Overtime Rules; and Assembly/Calculation Routines
- Develops and/or maintains standardized estimating processes and procedures and subsequent training of estimators and other individuals engaged in estimating efforts as necessary
- Maintain and/or develop estimating analytics to communicate Key Performance Indicators
- Assist in the development of strategic Plans involving annual estimating efforts
- Work with other supervisors to develop a winning strategy that is utilized as the basis of the cost estimating process
- Research Special Provisions and is responsible for understanding all aspects of the project including but not limited to self-performed construction activities, project milestones/time constraints, special construction methods, tax laws, insurance requirements, and labor agreements
- Ensure that all contract bid proposal documents are complete and accurate prior to submission of the bid to the Client
- Communicates with the Client on all pre-bid changes in scope, and/or questions or clarifications regarding the work, during the bidding process
- Preparation and oversight of cost estimates and bid documents for various construction pursuits in the Public and Private Sectors
- Performs or directs the performance of quantity takeoff from project plans and documents. Obtains comparative quotations for materials and subcontractor services
- Prepares, or oversees the preparation of, preliminary project schedules (when necessary) utilizing available software sufficient for estimating purposes
- Responsible to coordinate and lead all estimate review meetings prior to bid due date
- Responsible for overseeing all bids during the bid closing process
- Assembles, or oversees the assembly, of estimate files following bid closing to include all documents that were utilized in preparation of the estimate for escrow purposes or as necessary for internal needs
- Represents the company as required for strategic pursuits
- Acts as a resource to project management during the award/start-up phase to clarify any issues regarding what was considered in the estimate including materials and methods of construction
- Analyzes estimated vs. actual costs upon project completion, or when requested by executive management. Take input from project managers regarding labor and equipment hours, construction methods, and make adjustments to estimating factors as necessary
- Supports business development and client development efforts as necessary
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED SKILLS: Strong written and verbal communication skills; good time management & organizational skills; ability to function effectively as part of a team; dependable; self-starter; ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times; good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies; Proficiency in HCSS Heavy Bid; Onscreen Takeoff or equivalent; MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint.
PREFERRED SKILLS: Experience in Alternative Project Delivery (APD) methods; strong negotiation skills; HCSS Heavy Job; Vista Viewpoint; Plan Grid, Bluebeam, Microsoft Project, Primavera P6 Software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: This position requires ten plus (10+) years of relevant experience in estimating Public Works & Private Development projects utilizing HCSS Heavy Bid in the Heavy Civil construction industry in the state of Washington. A Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent is not necessarily required but is favorable; however, proven relevant work experience in the Heavy Civil Industry will be primarily, and strongly, considered.
BENEFITS PACKAGE: Johansen offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Competitive salary
- Use of a company vehicle and gas card for business related travel
- Health and Dental Insurance for the employee and his/er eligible dependents
- 401K savings plan with company match on contributions up to 3 percent of annual base wages
- Paid Time Off program which allows individuals to accrue at least 15 days per year
- Paid Holidays (in addition to the Paid Time Off program)
- Participation in Company's Bonus program
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Johansen Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, or age.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: To successfully perform the essential duties of this position, an individual must be able to perform in an active construction environment, regularly sit, stand, walk, talk and listen, and frequently lift and carry objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry objects up to 30 pounds. Individuals must be able to access all points of a construction site in a wide range of work environments.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and required skills for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis, which means that individuals are not guaranteed employment for any specific length of time, and either the individual or the company may terminate employment at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice.